Wednesday, August 24, 2011

STEVE JOBS!

2 posts in 1 day, wow... but this is important. Steve Jobs just resigned.

See, in my office, we like to bet on things. We do Fantasy Football, which I don't partake in because there's too much work involved, Academy Award pools, random "how far can I fling the rubber band" bets, and my favorite, the Celebrity Death Pool. I invented this one and am therefor it's commissionaire.

The rules are, each persons roster is due by Jan 18th. No one who dies before the 18th counts. You pick 10 people who are well-known figures, celebrities, political people, athletes. They don't have to be a house hold name, but they do have to have accomplished something of note. The younger the person, the more points you get, and you have to pick someone under 100 because the points are awarded at 100 - age at death. Anyone over 100 when they died would get you negative points. I suppose you can pick someone, but you'd be stupid.

The first year we did it, only 1 person called anyone, Charlton Heston, 84. Not very exciting. But the next year I was the F'n Grim Reaper! Take a look at this:
I'm MoOD, with 161 points! The next closest is Super G. with 95, then Sensenmen with 38 and Kill the Kitty with 26. No one even got close! Needless to say, it was a lot to live up to. The following year I had a lot of people, but they were older. My boss had only 1, but it was Corey Haim so he beat me by 2 points. 
This year we all took Amy Winehouse off our lists, stupidly - she was 27. BUT, I have Steve Jobs, he's 55... and has pancreatic cancer. Not to be cruel, but resigning at 55 is an odd move unless you think you aren't going to pull through... so I might be back. 

2 comments:

  1. I used to run a death pool website called "theymightbedead.com" ... had several games going at once with friends. it's always fun. I had Lady Bird Johnson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Bird_Johnson) on mine forever, but that woman just kept on livin. She died after we quit playing. (damn!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the way it always works!! You should get in on it next year. I'm thinking of taking it up a notch and trying to actually get a large pool going.

    ReplyDelete